Home

August 14, 2011

My little African Adventure: The End.

Well, this is my last blog from Sierra Leone. It's been a day of goodbyes and packing up life at Njala. I haven't even begun to understand all that I have learned here...but do look forward to when those revelations come to me all throughout my life. This place has touched my heart and I feel as if I'm leaving a piece of it here. I guess I will just have to come back someday!

Lexi and I are headed to Freetown early tomorrow morning to shop at a market, lay on the pristine beaches and hang out with some kiddos at an orphanage. Then, Wednesday evening I start my journey back to the States.

Thanks for following this little adventure of mine! I pray more are to come!

Enjoy a snapshot of things that didn't make the blog while I was here...

Joyful Journeys,

Julie






I FINALLY got to ride in a dug out canoe!









A "native" bridge...which is a seasonal bridge for the rising river during the rainy season.


This is the water supplied to the house from a truck...which Lexi and I saw pumping water from a river where people bathe and do laundry.


Transplanting moringa at one of Mr. Moiforay's project sites.



A sign from the women's cassava farm.





Though true, this sign made me giggle...




Sometimes I feel like I'm in a zoo...the one in the cage.





Lex and I learned to bake sweet cake using a wood burning oven. I'm excited to make this at home!



We used to run to the river which USED to be behind that canoe.














They have tall grass.




Found this in a pasture...it's used for salt blocks.



Local farmer's cows.



Rain coming to campus.




There is fresh goat meat in that sack.



This man works at the hospital lab near Njala...he doesn't have adequate equipment to do his job properly.




Sweet Margaret making fufu from cassava.





The boys who live at Mama Tijani's...they are so fun to play football with!




Dual purpose goat project at Njala...trying to create an efficient meat and dairy goat.



Groundnuts are in season.




Bananas are tiny.













The view from my office!







Lex and I did some damage grocery shopping in Bo.




Milk! Shelf stable...but I didn't mind!




Happy 4th of July! Dinner and a movie.



Canteen.




One of the many interesting toilets.







Huh....I guess I DO bleed purple!
I had a nasty blister from a bite and this is what the doctor put on it.




Sweet bread bakery at The Arc.





Sweet Isata taught us to make groundnut soup.




We ate luncheon meat too...



Working in the lab learning to produce I-2 Newcastle Disease vaccine for chickens.




Tiny lizards lived in our room.




Monkey on campus!




Roadside service selling honey.




Haha.





One of two times I ate ice cream. I paid a pretty penny but it was worth every Leone.



I love Mr. Moiforay's truck!



The women at a village meeting.








The woman to my left was the chief's wife...they let us stay a night in their home!







At one of Mr. Moiforay's projects.




Mr. Moiforay's truck...most trucks and vans have writing like this...so entertaining!



A man weaving country cloth in Kenema.









Slash and burn to create a rice field.


3 comments:

  1. Yalls adventures are amazing! Pictures are great! Keep posting, feels like I'm there. It's always been a dream.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an experience, Julie!!! Loved every post. Have a safe trip home and enjoy the State Fair!!!
    Ready to hear many more stories!!
    Mike and Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww those pictures are awesome!!!
    I'm loving to see your experiences!
    Hope your foot is healing better! Wonder what kind of bite was that lol
    Have fun sweet Julie and hope to see you soon back to your country :)
    Miss ya

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...