Home

June 17, 2011

African Observations

The People
Walk slow
Extremely social
Very giving
Children are always curious and excited about the “pu muys” (white man)
They love when I try to speak Mende
Play volleyball and football (soccer)
Men are very forward in asking for my number and getting to know me
It’s difficult to get direct answers
Women carry everything on their heads…even if it’s just a wallet
Lexi witnessed a man carrying a generator on his head
Flip flops, flip flops everywhere
A suit and tie can be worn to church even in hot weather
“Snap me” (take my photo)
Unannounced visits are very, very common…and somewhat refreshing to the American way
The “pu muys” are not allowed to wash floors/dishes, do laundry, or fix dinner…I have to beg to help
There is a high level of respect for elders and superiors
Hospitality here is unparallel to anything I’ve witnessed in the U.S. or from any of my travels
I can never seem to eat enough to make them happy: they always offer me more food

Cultural Differences

Certain foods are “better” when eaten by hand
“God saves” whatever comes, whatever happens is in God’s hands
Leisure often outweighs work
Christians praise and worship with incoherent passion by singing and dancing
No personal space allowed
Lack of planning
If there is silence in a conversation, do not fear. It’s OK.
Goats and sheep graze wherever there is grass
Tardiness is expected
Chickens run around with baby chicks closely following
Dogs appear to not have owners
Students seem to have close relationship with lecturers and often help them around the house
No running water
Laundry is hand-washed
Manual labor, manual labor, manual labor
Babies are always carried on backs, wrapped in a piece of colorful fabric
Children have many responsibilities: helping mother with home and in the field
“Muslims and Christian live in harmony”

Things that make me go “huh”
Lexi was expected to pay a token to the chief for visiting him in his village
They have no problem asking for things; my things
Horns are a form of communication for cars and motorcycles
Music: louder is better and there are no qualms with repeating a song over and over
Topless is OK
Breast feeding in public is OK
Cell phones are everywhere…and sometimes people have 2 or 3
Fueh a bago (“the sun is hot”)
There is never toilet paper in the bathrooms
They are early risers
Trucks can be found piled high with goods
People and bugs live happily together
Not all clothes are dried on lines; the roofs and ground are great for drying
There are herb remedies for sicknesses like malaria and typhoid
Most food looks gross, but tastes delicious
A 1.5 gallon jug of palm wine costs 50 cents
I put on sunscreen and bug spray multiple times daily
Ginger beer is very gingery
There are scorpions. They are big. They are black. They are dangerous.

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving reading your blog! miss your face. i love how all three of us are abroad at this moment and all writing our blogs :) haha. fun days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gins!!!!! Internet has been a little frustrating, so I haven't had time to read yours...but I hope to catch up soon! Miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie! I am loving this blog and reading about your adventures and your observations. It is truly fascinating and I feel like I am learning tons! I hope you are loving your time there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...