Home

July 4, 2011

The North: Hiking the Wara Wara

Expecting all business Kabala, I was delighted to find on the itinerary “climbing of the Wara Wara Mountain.” I could see the large rocky hill from the house we stayed in and was ready to get a view of Kabala and the countryside from the top.

A small middle-aged man with a slight limp guided Lexi, Jesse and I to the path. He surprised me with his speed…and the fact that for the most part we climbed straight up. It was challenging keeping up with him, crawling over rocks, pushing away tall grass and trying to not slip I the mud. I was melting from the heat and exertion, but the view from the top was worth every sweat drop.

The spot we reached (in just 30 min) hosts a popular New Years celebration each year. People from all over the country visit Kabala to climb Gbawuria Hill and pretty much party for two days.

A few photo ops later and we were on our way down. Going by a different path, the terrain was actually more challenging…but my legs were thankful to not be fighting gravity.

Joyful Journeys,

Julie




The goal.




Starting up the mountain.





It was steep.



I'm not really a strong climber.



Photo breaks=water breaks: both were welcomed!






We made it!


Lexi is a seasoned hiker.










Jesse was such a trooper to come with us!







Strange grass.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...