Home

May 31, 2011

My Little African Adventure

What better way to kick off my blog than with a summer in Africa?






Today I embark on a 24 hour journey to the small coastal country of Sierra Leone in west Africa to spend my summer completing an internship. Though the details are not finalized, I do know that I will be working with Njala University's animal science department and faculty as they continue with livestock development projects.




I don't know what I would do without my mom and her packing skills! This trip is different in so many ways. Adequate nutrition is a concern, so packed among clothes and bug spray are almonds, Fruit & Nut Bars, dried fruit, canned meat, and of course some sweets! I purchased my first water purifier---a SteriPen. Using UV rays it will (I hope) zap any water critter trying to get me sick. A mosquito net, wind-up flashlight my dad found, pocket knife and 5 bottles of sunscreen are also firsts to make it in my suitcase. Pictures of my family and a few good books are staples.



Well, this is the last on my to-do list so I guess I'm ready. Before I sign off I want to thank everyone who has (and will) pray for me and those who wished me safe travels. The support of family and friends means more than I can express.


Joyful Journeys!


Julie

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome Julie! Excited to read your updates! Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting patiently for your first post. Thinking about you and hoping that you have yet another life changing adventure. Love you Junebug.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...